Cooking healthy meals every day is challenging for busy families. But with a little bit of smart planning, you can make eating home easier than ordering in take out each night. One pot meals are one solution to living a more healthier lifestyle for busy families.
Using simple recipes and easy to use ingredients one can make a variety of flavorful meals. Quinoa is one such quick-cooking grain that also makes a protein-rich filling meal.
In our home, I like to mix it up when it comes to food. And creating new recipes from old classics is one way we avoid food monotony.
Every Indian home makes the classic Khichdi, here is a new take on an old classic – A one-pot quinoa khichdi.
It takes only half an hour to prepare and tastes like a lighter version of the dal rice khichdi.
I use masoor dal for the heartier flavor it lends to the dish but you can use moong dal too.
This khichdi is also freezer friendly, which means you can make a large batch and use through the week.
If khichdi is not your thing here is another basic quinoa recipe I put up last time on the blog.
ONE POT QUINOA KHICHDI RECIPE
One Pot Quinoa Khichdi
Quinoa Khichdi is a super simple quinoa recipe and a delicious meal for the family. Perfect for busy moms with less time on hand.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup masoor dal
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp sambar powder
- 3-4 curry leaves
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp cold pressed groundnut oil
1. Start by soaking 1:1 proportion of quinoa and masoor dal. Soak the quinoa and masoor dal separately for about 20 minutes. Wash the quinoa thoroughly before soaking.
2. In a hot pan, add a tablespoon of oil, followed by cumin seeds and curry leaves. Let these sputter in the hot oil.
3. Now add veggies of your choice, I had carrots and peas on hand. Fry them in the oil.
4. Add the quinoa and masoor dal, followed by 2 and a half cups of water, salt and spices.
5. Stir and let this cook for about 5 to 7 minutes.
6. When cooked, all the water is absorbed by the quinoa. Fluff up the quinoa with a fork and serve with homemade yogurt. I add a little black salt to the yogurt to give it some flavor.
Where to buy Quinoa?
One pot recipes like this quinoa bowl are one of the reasons I can manage cooking daily. Such recipes don’t require much skill and are super tasty.
One pot recipes are also a great way to add more vegetables into the diet. You can add any veggies you have on hand, like cauliflower, french beans, peas, carrots, boiled corn kernels, or bell peppers.
Are you looking for more easy recipes? Here is a collection of 5 easy one-pot dinners I make regularly in our home
Do you have a go-to quinoa recipe?
Leave me a comment below and tell me more.