Every time I whip up this one pot quinoa recipe, I get several requests to do a quick tutorial on how to cook quinoa? So here goes, one of my basic quinoa recipes just for you.
I have already mentioned the superfood benefits of quinoa in my blog post on superfoods for kids. At the same time, I would like to mention here that including quinoa in your diet is not a must. Yes, it is a complete protein for vegetarians, but so are other traditional foods such as dal and rice, rajma and rice and idli sambhar for example.
We use quinoa mainly to mix things up from time to time and eat a more varied diet. I easily get bored of the same kinds of foods and like to have different options for plant foods. It helps that quinoa is quick to cook and doesn’t require expert cooking skills.
This basic recipe is one of our favorite one pot quinoa recipes.
We pair this one pot quinoa with a soup or pasta dish to make a wholesome dinner for the family.
For more such one pot recipes, head to my post on one pot recipes for busy moms. These recipes are perfect for moms with little children. They require minimal effort and provide the much-needed nutrition growing children need.
Quinoa is very easy to work with and can be used in salads, as a filling in burritos, in wraps and in stews. The flavor itself is mild and quinoa takes the taste of the other condiments or spices you add to the main dish.
ONE POT QUINOA RECIPE
One Pot Quinoa
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 150 gms mushrooms
- 100 gms frozen peas
- 1 onion
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp salt free soup powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
1. Start by soaking the quinoa in water for at least 15-20 minutes. It is ready to cook when you begin to see the inner white germ of the seed.
2. In a large pot, add garlic pods to hot oil. Stir until the garlic oils are infused in the cooking oil.
3. Add one large chopped onion and saute until golden brown.
4. Now add the mushrooms and peas and cook for 5 minutes on low flame.
5. Add turmeric, black pepper, and salt. Mix well.
5. Now add the soaked quinoa and enough water to cover the quinoa. The quinoa to water ratio I use is 1:1.5
6. Add in the soup powder and let this come to a boil. It takes about 10 minutes for the quinoa to cook.
7. The water should get absorbed and the end result is a fluffy quinoa grain.
QUICK OVERVIEW OF THE ONE POT QUINOA RECIPE
Where to buy Quinoa?
That’s it for now. I hope you try this healthy quinoa bowl. Do leave me a comment if you do.
What is your favorite quinoa recipe? How do you cook quinoa?